Saturday, June 28, 2014

Melissa McCarthy Covers ‘People’ Talks Crying in her 20s, Rise to Stardom, Dealing with Critics

Melissa McCarthy graces the cover of People magazine and speaks with candor on her emotionally trying 20s. The ‘Tammy’ star opens up about feelings of inadequacy that reduced her to crying as well as how she feels about criticism she receives now, and more.




The 43-year-old actress rose to fame with the CBS hit sitcom ‘Mike & Molly’ and she has been among those who has made the successful transition to the big screen in a range of movies, including ‘Heat’ which saw her costar with Sandra Bullock.

Now she is back as the title character of ‘Tammy’ a movie she produced and her husband Ben Falcone directed; she also cowrote the script with him.

But as she revealed in her cover story interview with People — ‘Tears to Triumph’ — her earlier life was fraught with unhappiness. She said, “In my 20s I used to cry about why I wasn’t thinner or prettier, but I want to add that I also used to cry about things like: ‘I wish my hair would grow faster. I wish I had different shoes.” She added, “I was an idiot … It’s a decade of tears.”

how in later years she has triumphed. And in her success on television as well as at the box office, there’s no way around addressing the cultural climate we still face. The standards of beauty in Hollywood continue to be harsh and stringent. For those who do not meet such expectations of what an A-list Hollywood actress should look like, criticism from others can be brutal.

Melissa McCarthy said, “I’ve never felt like I needed to change. I’ve always thought, ‘If you want somebody different, pick somebody else.’ But sure, criticism can sometimes still get to me. Some things are so malicious, they knock the wind out of you.”

Noting an article that designated her “America’s plus-size sweetheart” she said, “It’s like I’m managing to achieve all this success in spite of my affliction … Would you ever put that in the headline for a male star?”

Absolutely. We are not yet in an era that accepts a sweetheart unconditionally. Melissa McCarthy’s continued success and triumph is a challenge to old stereotype we hope will give way sooner rather than later so that others will not spend any moments of their lives in tears, feeling inadequacies over unreasonable standards of beauty.

You can see more of the People magazine interview and the cover photo here.







Pictures: PR Photos

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/RightCelebrity/~3/tucJTGMw9yU/

Whitney Able Mía Maestro Jaime King Kerry Suseck Kate Beckinsale AnnaLynne McCord

No comments:

Post a Comment